Hair Transplant in Dubai

How often does swelling occur following a hair transplant surgery?

Swelling is one of the most prevalent side effects of FUE and FUT hair transplantation. In one study, 55% of patients experienced edema, with the remaining 45% avoiding it due to steroid therapy. Another study revealed that post-operative oedema was the most common side effect of hair transplant surgery, with 42% of patients experiencing swelling.

So, if you don’t take any precautions, it’s almost a coin toss as to whether you’ll get edema. Even if you do, swelling is usually modest, so most of the irritation should have subsided by the time you return to the office.
Fortunately, there are strategies to avoid swelling during hair transplantation. From frozen peas to steroid injections, there are numerous suggestions for preventing post-surgical swelling. So, which ones work?
Can you avoid edema following a hair transplant?
Steroids are the most effective strategy to minimize edema after hair transplantation. You can administer these during, prior to, or following surgery. According to research, steroids such as prednisolone, methylprednisolone, and triamcinolone can help prevent and minimize transplant edema.
You can administer steroids as tablets both before and after your treatment. You can also inject them or mix them with a local anesthetic.
Other nonsteroidal techniques for preventing edema include:
Wearing a headband or adhesive tape over the forehead can help keep fluid from seeping into the tissue around your eyes and cheeks.
Applying ice packs or frozen peas causes dilated blood vessels to constrict, lowering inflammation.
While sleeping, elevating your head encourages extra fluid to drain away, which speeds up the drainage process and reduces swelling.
These techniques are typically less successful than steroids, but they may alleviate symptoms for some patients.
Tips to Reduce Hair Transplant Swelling
The greatest strategy to aid in the healing process and prevent post-transplant edema is to follow your surgeon’s aftercare instructions.
Take your medicine exactly as instructed. Your clinic may give you a steroid tablet to take after surgery (typically Prednisolone). Learn more about hair transplant medication.
Drink plenty of water during and after surgery; dehydration and a lack of water can aggravate inflammation, so staying hydrated is essential.
Sleep with your head up at a 45° angle to assist fluid drainage and keep your hair grafts from dislodging while you sleep.
Do not take ibuprofen; ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines can cause you to retain water and increase swelling around your forehead; instead, take paracetamol to relieve pain.
Remember that swelling is a temporary side effect of hair transplant surgery that should subside within a week or so.
Hair transplant recovery
Swelling is a common aspect of the hair transplant recovery period. It’s one of the reasons we advocate taking some time off after a hair transplant, as it can be shocking if you’re unprepared.
Our hair transplant growth chart explains what to expect during the recovery process and when to expect to see new growth.
Schedule your free hair transplant consultation
If you notice signs of male-pattern baldness, it’s time to seek treatment. We’ve altered hundreds of hairlines; simply check out our before and after hair transplant collection.
We can also help you with hair loss. Schedule a free consultation with our team today to ask questions of one of our hair transplant Dubai and learn more about your treatment options.

Hair Transplant in Dubai